Workshop Number : 148
Title : The Internet and FOSS : Applications and Challenges for Africa
– Health: The impact of OS in health. What best practices exist and what are the lessons for Africa? How can we implement these? Concrete steps and policy recommendations.
– Education: FOSS teaching materials exist but there is a lack of knowledge and only few are aware of them, therefore, we would like to address the issue of increasing awareness to the Education Sector about OS tools.
– Governance and Standards: OS Standards and what is means for our standard bodies in Africa, a reflection on advocacy issues that surround this and how some standards processes can improve with more transparency.
Other areas to address are:
- Cost, use, and management
- IDNs and cultural sustainability
- Infrastructure and access
Which of the five broad IGF Themes or the Cross-Cutting Priorities does your workshop fall under?
- Capacity Building
Have you organized an IGF workshop before? Yes
If so, please provide the link to the report:
Provide the names and affiliations of the panellists you are planning to invite:
Moderator : Viv Padayatchy, AfriNIC
Panelists : Ben Akoh, Romain Touhouri, Yves Miezan Ezo (CHALA), Pierre Dandjinou (PANOS), Samer Azmy (FOSSFA), Christian Roland (FOSSFA), Genevieve Puiségur Segin
Provide the name of the organizer(s) of the workshop and their affiliation to various stakeholder groups :
AfriNIC : Regional Internet Registry for Africa responsible for the management and distribution of Internet number resources, including Internet Protocol addresses. www.afrinic.net
Organization : AfriNIC
Contact Person : Lillian Sharpley